Same Day Service

Fast Response

Competitive Pricing

No Call Out Charge

Qualified Engineers

What can cause an Electrical Fire?

What can cause an Electrical Fire?

 

Most electrical fires are caused by faulty electrical outlets, outdated appliances, faults in appliance cords and lastly switches. Never use an appliance with a worn or frayed cord as that can send heat onto combustible services surfaces such as floors, curtains and rugs which could result in starting a fire. The key to preventing electrical fires in your home is learning how these tragedies occur. The most common causes of electrical fires are, faulty wiring, extension cords, overloading the electric system and lastly light fixtures.

 

Extension Cords –

 

Extension cords are convenient and practical, but they could like anything start an electrical fire if they aren’t used correctly. Some of the extension cord mistakes that lead to electrical fires are, placing extension cords in areas where they could sustain damage, relying on extension cords all the time and lastly plugging major appliances into extension cords.

 

Faulty Wiring –

 

Faulty wiring is the most common causes of electrical fires. Sometimes our own actions are what cause these issues, multiple extension cords connected together or overloading electrical outlets, for example can be rectified. You could’ve done something simple like bent or damaged an electrical plug. A devastating fire can cause serious injury and possibly death, which is why you need to know the warning signs of faulty wiring and keep an eye out of these things.

 

Overloading the Electric System

 

Outdated wiring often causes electrical fires, breakers should be triggered when circuits get overloaded by too much electricity, but outdated breaker boxes often have worn connectors that do not work, causing the system to overload and start an electrical fire. Electric overloads occurs when too much current passes through electric wires. The wires heat and can melt, with the risk of starting a fire so avoid plugging several power-hungry items or equipment into the same line.

For more information on our services go to Optical Facilities alternatively call us on 0800 4480505.